Others “和合” Selected as the CJK Spirit Word of the Year 2023 2023.01.09
On January 9, the Trilateral Cooperation Secretariat (TCS) announced the CJK Spirit Word of the Year 2023 at the TCS Goodwill Gala: the Chinese character, “和合”, meaning harmony.
This is the first time TCS launched a campaign to ask people from the three countries to select a word that can represent CJK spirit in 2023, aiming to promote a shared culture and a better mutual understanding.
During the ceremony, Professor LEE Keonsik from Dankook University explained that the 12 candidate words all symbolize cooperation and have a similar meaning of hoping for amicable relations among the three countries.
In closing remarks, TCS Deputy Secretary-General SAKATA Natsuko pointed out that the public choice of the word “和合” represents the common expectation of the people from the three countries that will contribute to common prosperity and harmony in East Asia.
In an exclusive interview with China’s Xinhua News Agency, TCS Secretary-General Amb. OU Boqian introduced that "和合," means peace, harmony, amity, and cooperation, and embodies the aspirations of the people of the three countries for regional peace, harmonious coexistence, and joint prosperity amid drastic and profound changes taking place in the international landscape.
Looking ahead to 2023, SG OU expressed the hope that TCS will work closely with the three countries to tackle more challenges in the trilateral relations and promote trilateral cooperation and development by carrying out a series of events, such as the International Forum for Trilateral Cooperation (IFTC), CJK Youth Month, Trilateral Youth Exchange Network(TYEN) and other projects in various fields.
The CJK Spirit Word of the Year 2023 campaign lasted from December 1 to the end of 2022 and received about 1,000 votes from the general public of the three countries. After the first round of voting, experts from the three countries reviewed the result and listed 12 candidates. The wining “和合”received the majority of the votes, while the runner-up was “相生(developing together)”, and “共感 (empathy)”.
▲“和合” selected as the CJK Word of the Year 2023
▲SG OU Boqian receiving an interview with the Xinhua News Agency
- 14th Trilateral Cultural Ministers' Meeting Jeonju Declaration_JP
- Joint Statement of the 15th Trilateral Cultural Content Industry Forum
- 13th Trilateral Cultural Ministers' Meeting Qufu Declaration_JP
- Joint Statement of the 14th Trilateral Cultural Content Industry Forum
- 12th Trilateral Cultural Ministers' Meeting Kitakyushu Declaration_JP
- Joint Statement of the 13th Trilateral Cultural Content Industry Forum
- Incheon Declaration of the 11th Trilateral Culture Ministers Meeting_KR
- Harbin Declaration of the 10th Trilateral Culture Ministers Meeting_KR